Sunday, September 11, 2005

Views on "The News"

For the last 8 days almost all of my news was through either network tv, cable tv (mostly Fox) and a bit of talk radio. I had some but not much internet access. Most of my internet accesss was to check email and I got a couple postings up. For me, this was like being in a news vacuum. I know how expansive and more detailed the information I get from the internet is since I have access to a multitude of publications along with different bloggers with their links and contributions to the perspective.

Brown (founding editor in chief of MSNBC.com) tells an interesting story:
There's a dramatic revolution taking place in the news business today and it isn't about TV-anchor changes, scandals at storied newspapers or even the fierce tensions between government and the press.

snip<....>There's an inescapable conclusion to be drawn from research I completed earlier this year for the Carnegie Corp. of New York about the news habits of 18- to 34-year-olds. In short, the future of the U.S. news industry is seriously threatened by the seemingly irrevocable move by young people away from traditional sources of news.

snip<....>While it is premature to definitively judge the impact of this revolution on public affairs, political discourse or on journalism itself, the writing is on the wall: The way the news will be delivered in the future has already been altered and more changes are undoubtedly on the way. How can we expect anything else, when the average age of a print newspaper reader is 53 and the average age of both broadcast and cable-news viewers is about the same?

Baby boomers read newspapers one-third less than their parents, and the Gen Xers read newspapers another one-third less than the boomers. And the issues these trends suggest can no longer be swept aside by the news giants that ruled for so long.


The Seattle Times: Opinion: I Webbed the news today oh boy!

I cancelled my newspaper subscription long before even the 2000 election. Most of my disgust with the Mpls. Star Tribune was from the Minnesota income/sales tax debate. The Strib was always for any tax increase or new tax as long as the tax didn't apply to "Them". MN Sales Tax applies to all other print media, only newspapers are exempt. Amazing how that works isn't it? I was one of those who read the paper from cover to cover with every section (ok, except for the Sports section). Then I'd do the crossword puzzle. The paper was available to be read at work but I rarely even looked at the front page. I'd see the bias in the omittance of the front page headline or what the Strib considered to be the most important news of the day.

Friday morning while staying with friends I was flipping the pages of the Strib while sitting at their kitchen table and on one of the back pages was a story about Air America and Al Franken. The Strib of course was a day late and a dollar short on the story. They were still reiterating the con job Franken had given about not knowing about the loans and playing the innocent victim. I'm amazed I actually found something written about Air America that was negative in the Strib since they adore and adulate Al Franken. Readers of the Strib will never read what Michelle Malken and Captains Quarters have "Investigated" and reported about the whole affair. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Strib never acknowledges Franken's involvement.

Interestingly Brown never acknowledges the role or emergence of blogging as news vehicle. So, I'd guess that not even Brown "gets it"!!


WWW MyView