Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Oh Horrors! Waivers on Immigrant Entitlements Scrutinized.

So let me get this straight. I'm an immigrant on visa status (I'm assuming these are legal cause if they're illegal they get what they deserve...Nothing!) and I'm on U.S. government subsidies. There's nothing to say I've ever paid in a dime throughout the years to pay for these entitlements but I get them anyway. So now the law has changed and I can no longer get a waiver to receive these subsidies without becoming a citizen and in order to do that I have to have an interview in English and take a Citizenship exam. But I can't speak English and wouldn't pass the citizen exam so I try to get a waiver, why should I get this waiver from a country I am technically a "visitor"?

We are supposed to "feel" empathy for these people receiving entitlements from a country in which they are not citizens. What other countries give these kind of entitlements to non-citizens? Maybe there's a disconnect in my logic system within my brain but I just don't understand why anyone would expect a country to which you are not a citizen should be expected to support and provide benefits to this visitor. My family and myself are depriving ourselves to support someone we don't know and this support is not voluntary but mandatory and then the people(and their supporters) to receive the entitlement complain that this process is too rigid?
The agencies say immigration officials have cut some outreach programs, increased background checks and reduced the number of medical waivers given to applicants seeking to skip both interviews in English and the citizenship exam.

The delays are especially hard on disabled and elderly refugee applicants who could lose government benefits if they fail to meet application deadlines for citizenship.

"All this is causing great hardship for our clients," said Ashraf Habibi, director of Orange County Social and Immigration Services, an Irvine-based agency that works with elderly and disabled immigrants.

The background checks were added after Sept. 11, 2001.

Officials at U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services say they also have been scrutinizing applications more closely in recent months.


"We started to see more and more requests for disability waivers," said USCIS spokeswoman Marie Therese Sebrechts.

SoCal immigrant support groups complain about citizenship waivers


WWW MyView