Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Ignorance is not Bliss

I watched at least an hour and maybe more (I lost track of time and then had to dash off) of the hearing today with Michael Brown on CSPAN. What I found most stunning was the abject ignorance of some of the Congressional Representatives questioning Brown. I won't go through each Representative but here's a few of my thoughts.

Rep. William Jefferson (D-LA). This is the same politician who five days after landfall requested a tour of the devastation by the National Guard. What he did then was despicable and corrupt. See valkyrjan for an excellant detailing of this shysters motives. So here's Jefferson excoriating Michael Brown saying out of both sides of his mouth I'm not here to do finger pointing but I need a full explanation of what happened with the total failure of FEMA's response to NO.

Then we have Rep. Gene Taylor (D-Miss) who expects that it's FEMA's responsibility to be in the eye of the storm and be ready to provide not only water, food but at least 5 gallons of gas for each resident in the area. It was FEMA's fault that people had to loot local grocery stores!

Then there's Chris Shays (R-Conn) who is total dufus. Obviously Shays doesn't understand the meaning of the word coordinate. I believe he also thought Brown was supposed order LA Governor Blanco and Mayor Nagin to order an evacuation.

The only person with a head on his shoulders was Brown in that hearing. I didn't really like his answer about what he did wrong, it was lame. Apparently, the group in this hearing believe that FEMA is supposed to know exactly when and where any hurricane is going to hit landfall. I suppose they could use a magic eight ball?? I still think FEMA dropped the ball but what occurred during the time I watched this hearing was nothing but a witch trial.

Today Kathleen Blanco is on the hot seat. Let's see if the committee throws the same personal insults and innuendo's at her! I'll just bet not.


WWW MyView