Saturday, July 16, 2005

Open Mouth and Insert Foot

In case you heard about this or hadn't heard about this:
On June 23, this letter to the editor appeared in The Arizona Republic: A wake-up call from Luke's jets

"Question of the day for Luke Air Force Base: Whom do we thank for the morning air show? Last Wednesday, at approximately 9:11 a.m., a tight formation of four
F-16 jets made a low pass over Arrowhead Mall, continuing west over Bell Road at approximately 500 feet. Imagine our good fortune! Do the Tom Cruise wannabes
feel we need this wake-up call, or were they trying to impress the cashiers at
Mervyn's early-bird special? Any response would be appreciated. - Tom MacRae,
Peoria, AZ"


This was a tribute to an AF Officer (Capt. Jeremy Fresques) who was killed in Iraq on May 30th.

After many phone calls the complainer apologizes:
"I have received many calls from the fine airmen who are serving or have served at Luke, and I have attempted to explain my side and apologized for any discomfort my letter has caused. This was simply an uninformed citizen complaining about noise. I have been made aware in both written and verbal communications of the four-ship flyby, and my heart goes out to each and every lost serviceman and woman in this war in which we are engaged.

"I have been called un-American by an unknown caller and I feel that I must address that. I served in the U.S. Navy and am a Vietnam veteran. I love my country and respect the jobs that the service organizations are doing.

"Please accept my heartfelt apologies. - Tom MacRae"


Rocky Mountain News: Mike Rosen


WWW MyView