Monday, May 09, 2005

Who's Right? The Blog "War is Real" or "Powerline"?

war is real: media, this blog, and emails

I had just been reading this from War is Real:


NPR is one of the few media outlets I will use this time around, because they tell the truth and don't have a slanted agenda that forces you in line with the rest of the rah rah troops. I did some press last time around, and it ended up getting me in more trouble than anything else so f**k it, i'm sticking solely with NPR and perhaps the guardian.


And then I saw this at Powerline:


Last week, I was invited to appear on MSNBC to discuss a report in the New York Times that the Chairman of the Corportation for Public Broadcasting (a Republican) wants to bring more political balance to PBS. <...> PBS is probably the most reliable remaining leftist enclave with attachments to the federal government. As Bozell shows, its head Pat Mitchell helped produce CNN's biased documentary "Cold War," and her first act upon taking over was to give Bill Moyers his weekly forum for bashing conservatives (Bozell provides a helpful sampling of what that has meant). In this context, it is easy to understand why liberals are so intent on preserving PBS as it is.

I think I'll go with the Powerline assessment of Public Broadcasting. Actually, I've been fed up with PB for a long time and saw a deliberate attempt to affect the 2004 Elections with this 2 hour commercial free advertisement for John Kerry 3 weeks before the election.

Update: I found another good commentary on PBS and federal funding. Did you know that PBS receiveds $390 Million of taxpayer dollars?

From the Denver Post, Michael Booth writes PBS: Change or die

It's time to force an extreme makeover. Colorado public TV officials claim that the 15 percent of their budgets coming from federal aid is their "margin of excellence." I disagree. I think it's their crutch for perpetual inconsequence. To keep that 15 percent, they must strive for the middle, while TV all around them on the dial sprints headlong in an exhilarating pursuit of high and low culture.

The heart of the PBS lineup, what critics call the "prosaic genres" of history, nature, cooking and hobby shows, are all heavily represented on cable these days - only with better production values. "Antiques Roadshow," one of the few PBS success stories in recent years and increasingly crammed into the lineup as filler, has no higher purpose for existing on a publicly financed frequency.

I especially like his description: Perpetual Inconsequence!


WWW MyView