Monday, May 23, 2005

I Find This Very Depressing

FrontPage magazine.com :: What I Learned in Arabic Class by John Williamson

You should read this article as a glimpse into the educated Arab mind and that's what I find disheartening.

So here’s what I learned in Arabic class:

1. Foreigners who are achievement-oriented and optimistic seem to think the U.S. is the best thing going. This is true even of those who are living under repressive regimes; perhaps especially true of them.

2. Some people will always look a gift horse in the mouth, even if the gift is an opportunity for self-determination.

3. A fine arts degree in poetry will not bring to life the deadened sensibilities of someone who is unmoved by the public decapitation of one’s countrymen.

I also learned a little Arabic. But that seems almost beside the point.


WWW MyView