Saturday, April 30, 2005

Operation Welcome Home

While driving back to Minnesota from Tennessee yesterday I of course was scanning the radio dial. On the way down I listened to Ann Coulter read her book 'Treason', that was a first for me to listen to a book cd. Five hours just zipped by - I was amazed. Anyway, I happened to catch a radio program (and sorry but I don't remember who the talk host was), but he was interviewing Mike Jackson and Tara Dixon-Engel who wrote the book 'Naked in Da Nang'.

Mike Jackson didn't intentionally end up naked on the streets of Da Nang. In retrospect, however, he's kind of glad he did.

"I guess if I hadn't, I'd have to call my book 'Fully Clothed in Vietnam,' which just doesn't have quite the same ring," he laughed. "As a title, 'Naked in Da Nang' works…it's a little strange, a little curious and slightly off-color…"

Not unlike the author himself...

When Jackson retired from the United States Air Force in 1991 as a lieutenant colonel, he took with him numerous commendations, medals, memories and an incredible assortment of off-beat stories.

"For years I've been telling tales - all true - about my 23 years in the military and my 366 days as a combat pilot in Southeast Asia. But I discovered when I came back from my tour in Vietnam that America really didn't want to hear about the war. In fact, as a returning veteran, full of stories and thoughts and observations,
I quickly learned that the only way I could share my combat experiences with people was if there was humor involved."

Along with the book these two people are trying to organize a national event called Operation Welcome Home for Vietnam Vets.


Operation Welcome Home will take place over Veteran’s Day weekend 2005 -- November 10-13 in Las Vegas, Nevada -- and throughout the nation. If you are interested in coordinating an event in your area they will help.


WWW MyView