Saturday, April 23, 2005

Feel-Good Alert: A son's late-night call from Iraq

North County Times - North San Diego and Southwest Riverside County columnists

Again, the phone connection between our Oceanside house and my son's cell phone in Iraq was crystal clear.

The phone rang at 3 a.m. My wife picked it up, going from a sound sleep, to excited mother talking to her son who, as an infantryman, remains in harm's way daily.
<.....>
... he's an interpreter who works with us ... here, talk to him.' "
<........>
As she grabbed for a handful of tissues she continued, "He wanted me to know that he appreciated Evan being there and for the Americans being there. He thanked me for himself and for his family.

"He told me 'Evan is a good soldier, a good man, a great hero to his family ... At night when you put your head on your pillow I don't want you to worry about him because I'm looking out for Evan ...

" 'We have a saying here in Iraq, I hope you understand it, I see Evan in my eye, I'll take care of him.' "

There's more. What a great call for any soldier's family.
Link found on Lucianne.


WWW MyView